Republished from Acorn’s Facebook page
On August 23rd, the COVID eviction freeze will come to an end.
A quarter of a million people could face eviction due to rent debt built up during the Coronavirus crisis, with homelessness a real possibility for many.
Just as we mobilised thousands of people to support our communities and our more vulnerable neighbours with food and prescriptions, ACORN is ready to stand up for our members and our communities once the ban lifts.
We’re building Community Protection Teams and holding training sessions across England & Wales, to prevent evictions and protect our communities from homelessness caused by Government inaction & landlord greed. Find out more here – https://acorntheunion.org.uk/community-protection
On Saturday 22nd August we’re asking that YOU join us for an online day of action and say No to COVID Evictions!
From home, you can…
– Take a selfie with a homemade placard, or our ‘Notice of Eviction Resistance,’ or hang a banner from your window! Posters that you can print out will be shared in the event throughout the week.
– Wear red and don’t forget to include the hashtags #HousingIsHealth and #NoEvictions
– Tag PM @BorisJohnson and Housing Secretary @RobertJenrickNewark (@RobertJenrick on Twitter) to demand that the Government takes urgent steps to avert a homelessness crisis
– If you’re in Wales, tag First Minister Mark Drakeford @fmwales and Housing Minister @JulieJamesMS
– Sign up to an ACORN Community Protection Team and encourage others to do the same! Include the link https://acorntheunion.org.uk/community-protection